Education & Admissions
- J.D., The Ohio State University, College of Law
- B.A., The Ohio State University
- State Bar of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
Awards & Accomplishments
- The Roswell Bottum Award for contributions to the fidelity and surety industry (1998)
- Martin J. Andrew Award for lifetime achievement in fidelity and surety law (2003)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA
- Ohio Super Lawyers
- Named Best Lawyers 2010 Columbus
- Ohio Construction Lawyer of the Year
John J. Petro, is a lifelong resident of Ohio, graduating from the Ohio State University with a BA degree in 1959 and from the College of Law, Ohio State University, in 1962.
He is a Founding Fellow of American College of Construction Lawyers. He was a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel and Chairman of Fidelity, Surety and Public Contract Law Committee (1983-1984). John is currently a member of the Dispute Review Board Foundation, various Dispute Review Boards, and the Columbus, Ohio State, and American Bar Associations.
He also serves as a member of American Bar Association Section on Public Contract Law, the American Bar Association Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, the American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section, and the Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, serving as Committee Vice Chairman (1976-1979, 1980-1982) and Committee Chairman (1979-1980).
John is an accomplished mediator and arbitrator and has received numerous awards throughout his career. He has participated in numerous multi-million dollar construction mediations and arbitrations. He has mediated cases for the Court of Common Pleas of Franklin County, Ohio; the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; the Ohio Department of Transportation; and the State of Ohio, Department of Administrative Services. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association construction arbitration panel.